BALD SISTERS HAS EXTENDED THROUGH JANUARY 21.
“BLINK ONCE FOR BURIAL. BLINK TWICE FOR A FRIDAY FUNERAL. BLINK THRICE IF YOU HATE MY GUTS.”
ABOUT THIS SHOW
Ma is dead; now what happens? Vichet Chum’s world premiere follows two sisters—at odds since birth—as they settle the affairs of their strong-willed, wise-cracking mother while reconciling their family’s Cambodian heritage with its ever-so-complicated American present. Where’s the will? A burial or cremation? And what do we do with Ma’s teeth? Bald Sisters is an irreverent, comedic and ultimately poignant examination of the ties that bind multigenerational families of immigrants together: history, spirituality and humor.
This play runs for 100 minutes and will be performed without an intermission.
There will be a "Masks Required" performance of Bald Sisters on:
- Saturday, January 7, 2023 at 2:30PM
Watch & Listen
Steppenwolf does not offer advisories about subject matter, as sensitivities vary from person to person. If you have any questions about content, age-appropriateness or stage effects (such as strobe lights or theatrical fog) that might have a bearing on patron comfort, please contact the box office at 312-335-1650.
Membership has its perks
Get insider access, great savings and the ultimate flexibility when you become a member!
Redeem your Black & RED Card Flex Credits
$20 tickets, Pay-What-You-Can performances, discounts and more. Find the right ticket for you.
Casts & Artists
- Playwright Vichet Chum
- Director Jesca Prudencio
- Scenic Design Andrew Boyce
- Costume Design Izumi Inaba
- Lighting Design Stacey Derosier
- Sound Design & Original Music Pornchanok Kanchanabanca
- Projection Design Mike Tutaj
- Intimacy Director Courtney Abbott
- Dramaturg Polly Hubbard
- Wig Design Silver Fox Wigs
- Company Voice & Text Coach Gigi Buffington
- Producing Director Tom Pearl
- CSA Casting Director JC Clementz
- Production Stage Manager Laura D. Glenn
- Assistant Stage Manager Jaclynn Joslin
Steppenwolf celebrates our esteemed partners. Each one helps ensure that Bald Sisters' performances are accessible for our growing community.
National Cambodian Heritage Museum
Steppenwolf offers artistic experiences to uplift the work being presented on our stages. Participate in our community by joining us for a moment unlike any other.
Lead Production Sponsor
Grand Production Sponsor
Individual Production Sponsor
Bald Sisters is supported in part by the Nancy L. Wald Production Endowment Fund.
Steppenwolf's New Plays Initiative is supported by the Zell Family Foundation.
Accessibility Services sponsored by John Hart and Carol Prins
Bald Sisters is the recipient of an Edgerton Foundation New Play Award.
Welcome to our ensemble
Steppenwolf prides itself on being one of the premiere ensemble theaters in America. Being in an ensemble means being open to perspectives that differ from our own, being willing to allow multiple truths to exist and, perhaps most importantly, being open to change.
We are committed to becoming a racially, culturally and socially just organization rooted in anti-oppressive values, and we invite you to commit with us to maintaining a safe and accessible environment wherein our patrons, staff, artists, students, donors, trustees and volunteers are all part of our ensemble.
We invite you to join our ensemble by:
• Treating everyone with respect, dignity and equity.
• Centering those whose experiences you may not identify with or understand.
• Celebrating various forms of expression and trusting that there is enough space for us all.
If we witness harm being caused, we commit to:
• Having the courage to interrupt and lead with compassion.
• Centering the needs of the harmed party(ies) if physical or emotional harm is caused.
• Working together to rectify a situation when harm is caused, intentionally or accidentally.
Ensemble ethos is what this company is built on. It’s not always easy, but we believe prioritizing community is how we achieve a better tomorrow.
While we pride ourselves on staging provocative work that elicits strong emotions, reactions and connections, it is essential that we reduce the harm that has occurred too often in our physical and virtual spaces. Therefore, we reserve the right to refuse service, relocate and/or remove any person from our theater who disregards this Code of Conduct.
If you would like to share your thoughts with Steppenwolf leadership, please reach out to the company’s department heads at firstname.lastname@example.org.