Theatre is For Everyone
Services for people with mobility disabilities
- Wheelchair accessible seats in our Downstairs, Upstairs and 1700 Theaters
- A courtesy wheelchair, available on a first-come/first-serve basis through our Front of House office (312) 932-2445
- Accessible parking spaces in our valet parking lot at 1700 N Halsted, just north of the theater
- Wheelchair accessible restrooms in all of our lobbies
- In our Downstairs Theater, wheelchair accessible seats and seats without stairs are available in the back rows of both the Main and Balcony levels
- In our Upstairs and 1700 Theaters, wheelchair accessible seats and seats without stairs are available in the first row
Services for people who are deaf or hard-of-hearing
- Induction loop on both the main and balcony levels of the Downstairs Theater
- Complimentary assistive hearing devices in our Downstairs and Upstairs Theaters.
- Open-captioned performances of our subscription and Steppenwolf for Young Adults plays
- American Sign Language-interpreted performances of our subscription and Steppenwolf for Young Adults plays
- ASL students from local universities who volunteer as usher for ASL-interpreted performances
Assistive hearing devices for the Downstairs Theater are available at the book shop and information desk, located across from the box office in the main floor lobby
Induction Loop in the Downstairs Theater
In May of 2015, and with the help and expertise of Assistive Hearing Systems Ltd., we completed installation of an induction loop on both the main and balcony levels of our Downstairs Theater. If you use a hearing aid or cochlear implant that has a T-Coil, feel free to turn it on for any performance!
If you use the loop, we would love to hear about your experience—we’re always fine-tuning the system, and all feedback is helpful. Please ask any member of our customer service staff for a survey to complete, or email email@example.com.
Assistive Listening Devices
Separate from our induction loop, our assistive listening system – available in both our Downstairs and Upstairs Theaters -- features FM headsets and over-the-head headphones.
In the Downstairs Theater, headsets are available for complimentary loan at the book shop and information desk, located across from the box office in the main floor lobby.
In the Upstairs Theater, headsets are available for complimentary loan at the main floor book shop, as well as at the Upstairs Theater box office on the third floor.
Open caption performances in the 2020/21 season:
Good Night, and Good Luck: Thursday, January 7 at 7:30pm and Saturday, January 16 at 3pm
I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter: Thursday, April 1 at 7:30pm and Saturday, April 17 at 3pm
Last Night and the Night Before: Thursday, April 8 at 7:30pm and Saturday, May 1 at 3pm
Choir Boy: Thursday, July 1 at 7:30pm and Saturday, July 24 at 3pm
Services for people who are blind or have low-vision
- Audio-described performances of our subscription and Steppenwolf for Young Adults plays
- Touch tours and artistic conversations before selected audio-described performances of our subscription and Steppenwolf for Young Adults plays
- Playbills in Braille, large print and audio formats
- Dedicated curb-to-seat assistance on request
- A relief area for service animals in front of the theater
Audio-Described Performances and Pre-Performance Touch Tours
Audio-described performances and pre-performance touch tours and artistic conversations are presented on the dates below. For these specific performances, the touch tour begins at 1:30pm, and the curtain is at 3pm. To find out when a particular show will be offering an Audio-Described performance or pre-performance Touch Tour, please check the respective shows production page in the Tickets & Events section.
Audio-described performances and pre-performance touch tours in the 2020/21 season:
Good Night, and Good Luck: Sunday, January 10 at 3pm (1:30pm touch tour, 3pm curtain)
I Am Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter: Sunday, May 2 at 3pm (1:30pm touch tour, 3pm curtain)
Last Night and the Night Before: Sunday, April 18 at 3pm (1:30pm touch tour, 3pm curtain)
Choir Boy: Sunday, July 25 at 3pm (1:30pm touch tour, 3pm curtain)
Buying Tickets and Requesting Services
When purchasing tickets for an accessible performance, please indicate that you are interested in the service that's being offered -- that will allow us to give you the best possible seats and assistance.
In person: 1650 N Halsted
Phone: (312) 335-1650
Box Office Hours
Open 7 days a week except for certain major holidays
11am to 5pm Mon - Sat & 1pm to 5pm Sun
NPR Illinois: Community Voices: Growing Accessibility and Compassion in the Chicago Theater Community
John Hart and Carol Prins are Steppenwolf’s Lead Underwriters for Accessibility Programs.