Thank you for visiting the work with us section of our site. Current openings are listed below.
- Audience Experience
- Food and Beverage Director
- Lead Designer
For over 40 years, Steppenwolf Theatre Company has been a cultural leader in Chicago and model for theatre companies in the United States and around the world. Formed by a collective of actors in 1976, the ensemble represents a remarkable cross-section of actors, directors, stage managers and playwrights. Steppenwolf’s artistic ambitions are made possible by its incredible workforce of individuals, who help create a culture of inclusivity, collaboration and accountability. To that end, we attempt to use an anti-oppressive and anti-racist lens in our roles and everyday decision-making. Join us in this ongoing process, as we navigate, together, our complex world.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Steppenwolf Theatre Company is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Steppenwolf complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
We strongly encourage applications from people of color and members of underrepresented groups.
On an ongoing basis, Audience Experience at Steppenwolf Theatre Company is seeking candidates for the part-time positions of Barista/Food Handler and Assistant House Manager.
STEPPENWOLF AUDIENCE EXPERIENCE
Steppenwolf Audience Experience is dedicated to helping everyone coming through our doors feel safe, relaxed and invited. Through presenting an intentional and sincere level of service and hospitality, these positions participate in a team that is committed to cultivating a comfortable and respectful environment that upholds the dignity and experience of our audience, colleagues and guests.
These positions primarily operate in Steppenwolf’s public spaces, which include theater lobbies and Front Bar Coffee and Drinks.
Successful candidates will demonstrate…
Prior experience working in a high-volume customer service setting, preferably in the position you’re applying for
Ease in proactively and positively engaging with a spectrum of guests and staff in an intense, fast-paced environment
Fast, efficient service techniques in peak service times
A relaxed appearance and tone when interacting with guests and colleagues, which includes maintaining an unhurried pace and level modulation of voice and volume
Effective, improvisational problem solving in ever-changing situations
Strong time-management skills and the ability to work 15-25 hours a week
Consistent availability on evenings and weekends, as well as during holiday seasons
Successful candidates will…
Commit to an equitable work environment, which includes use of gender inclusive language; support for individual gender expression, racial equity and inter-generational collaboration; accessibility for people with disabilities; and cultural sensitivity.
Demonstrate compassion, which includes genuinely caring about colleagues and guests alike; showing sympathy for the plights of others; exhibiting empathy for the experience of everyone in the room.
Maintain personal composure, which includes demonstrating maturity; remaining cool under pressure; not becoming defensive or irritated when presented with challenging or unexpected situations; handling stress without showing frustration; serving as a settling influence in a tense situations.
Comfortably and effectively cope with change and ambiguity, which includes effectively transitioning between tasks and timelines; identifying priorities and making good decisions with a minimum of information; staying relaxed when things are uncertain; confidently managing risk and uncertainty.
Exhibit interpersonal savvy, which includes relating comfortably to a variety of personalities; cultivating and maintaining positive relationships; employing diplomacy and tact; defusing high-tension situations; seeking the positive in all situations.
HOURS OF EMPLOYMENT
Assistant House Managers and Bartenders
Hours of employment are structured in consideration of performances, which are presented Tuesday through Sunday evenings, with matinees on Saturdays, Sundays and select Wednesdays. Extra shift availability is also occasionally available to support special events and extra programming on Monday evenings, weekdays, and weekend mornings.
Front Bar is open from 8am to midnight Tuesday through Sunday and certain Monday evenings, with peak times before and after performances. Morning/opening, daytime, and evening/closing shifts are all available.
This position is hourly and is commensurate with qualification and experience. Excellent benefit package offered for part time employees, including dental and vision insurance, paid sick time, employee assistance program, pre-tax Ventra transit benefit program and a 401(k) matching retirement program.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and three references by following this link.
NO PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS PLEASE
Food and Beverage Director
Steppenwolf Theatre Company is seeking candidates for the full-time position of Food and Beverage Director. This position, reporting directly to the General Manager, manages and leads Steppenwolf’s food and beverage operations across the institution. Partnering with the General Manager, the Food and Beverage Director helps to create strategies, partnerships and efficiencies that net approximately $200k a year from its operations.
Food and Beverage Program
Currently, our F&B program consists of our lobby concessions program and Front Bar: Coffee and drinks. The theatre is currently undergoing an expansion project and will open a new bar and additional concession operation on campus upon the opening of the new theatre (estimated Summer 2021).
Front Bar is a neighborhood hub with both café and bar service. We serve coffee and espresso by Passion House Coffee Roasters and food by The Goddess and Grocer, all available day and night. The bar program focuses on seasonal cocktails, beer and wine, with an emphasis on local and craft products.
Our lobby concessions program is a thematic extension of Front Bar, focusing on providing quality snacks and beverages and efficient service to guests before and during performances.
Areas of Responsibility:
The Food and Beverage Director will lead the daily operations of the restaurant and concessions program and supervises 2 full time employees and 25-30 part time staff. The ideal candidate will supervise and educate staff on best practices within the industry and will emphasize friendly, emotionally intelligent and efficient service. The F&B Director will be responsible for budget management, ROI strategy and analysis, creating staff schedules, managing purchases and inventory, ensuring adherence to food safety procedures, implementing excellent customer service, coordinating with other internal departments to streamline service, and serves as a knowledgeable source of information about trends and advances within the restaurant and bar industry.
Successful candidates will:
- have experience managing operations and a team larger than 15 people in a high-volume restaurant or bar setting
- be skilled at using and analyzing data to make informed profit-related decisions
- have an exceptional problem-solving and customer service approach to all decisions and interactions, and have demonstrated the consistent ability to effectively problem-solve in improvised situations
- commit to an equitable work environment, including but not limited to use of gender inclusive language and support for individual gender expression, cultural sensitivity, racial equity and inter-generational collaboration and accessibility for audience members with disabilities
- enjoy proactively and positively interacting with a variety of personalities in a busy, fast-paced environment
- have in-depth experience with front and back end operation of a restaurant or bar point of sale system
- have keen attention to detail
- communicate clearly and professionally
- have food service experience and be ServSafe Manager and Illinois BASSET certified
- have knowledge of or interest in Steppenwolf and the performing arts
- possess excellent time-management skills
- when needed, work late nights and weekends
- be able to lift 40 pounds
- Have demonstrated success in managing a team with various employment classifications and job functions.
- Candidates must be proactive, relationship-oriented, strategic, and creative.
- Steppenwolf gives preference to candidates who have demonstrable experience advocating for equity, diversity and inclusion
- They must understand the big picture but also have strong attention to detail.
- They should feel comfortable juggling multiple projects and must have excellent writing, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Experience in the arts or a non-profit organization is a plus.
Salary range: $50,000 - $55,000 with excellent benefit package for full time employees, including medical, dental, vision insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, vacation pay, paid sick time, personal days, Ventra transit benefit program, employee assistance program and 401(k) matching retirement program.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and three references by following this link by September 21, 2019.
NO PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS PLEASE
Steppenwolf Theatre Company is seeking candidates for the full-time position of Lead Designer to head its graphic design team. This individual must be a self-motivated designer with intelligent design skills and the ability to manage freelancers and printer partnerships. This position works on a wide variety of both print and digital materials, in support of marketing campaigns, institutional branding, fundraising campaigns, education materials and other efforts. A successful candidate will be organized, dependable, knowledgeable, detail-oriented, able to work both autonomously and as part of a team and possess the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously. The Lead Designer is responsible for working with the Creative Director on a wide range of projects across the organization. This position reports to the Creative Director.
- Maintain Brand Standards and aesthetics as set by Creative Director
- Manage and delegate high volumes of design traffic to support staff
- Create design solutions for print, e-mail, web and signage
- Design program books for the theatre, working with Marketing Assistant
- Work in conjunction with other departments on collaborative projects
- Prepare files for printing and publishing, gain bids from vendors, review proofs
- Interface with merchants, creative, pre-press, and Project Managers to ensure design approvals
- Partner with Project Managers in meeting deadlines and review of layouts
- Manage deadlines and workload to ensure on-time delivery of all project
- Manage print vendors to ensure timely completion
- Design and coordinate web layout and updates
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Displays eagerness, innovation and self-motivation in design approach
- 5 years of design experience for agencies, freelance, non-profits, arts organizations
- Well-developed typography skills (with knowledge of visual and communication hierarchies)
- Strong conceptual and brainstorming skills
- Strong organization and self-motivation skills
- Excellent verbal and collaborative skills
- Proficient with Mac OS and Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop proficiency and efficiency required)
- Interest/knowledge in HTML5 and Web development
- Ability to work in a timely manner on multiple projects under tight deadlines
- Experience, knowledge, or interest in theatre and/or other performing or visual arts
- Ability to prepare final mechanical files for release to printer
Salary range: $42,000 - $50,000 with excellent benefit package for full time employees, including medical, dental, vision insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, life insurance, vacation pay, paid sick time, personal days, Ventra transit benefit program, employee assistance program, comp tickets, and 401(k) matching retirement program.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and three references by following this link by October 11, 2019.
NO PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS PLEASE