SynopsisIt's a story the world knows by heart: a young Jewish girl's harrowing account of hiding with her family from the Nazis in a tiny attic in Amsterdam. A striking new adaptation restores deleted passages from the diary, offering us a richer look into this extraordinary young woman's coming of age. The Diary of Anne Frank is recommended for children 12 and older.
Watch & Listen
Cast & Artists
- Sound Design: Michael Bodeen
- Assistant Director: Margot Bordelon
- Stage Manager: Malcolm Ewen
- Dramaturg: Rosie Forrest
- Assistant Stage Manager: Christine D. Freeburg
- Scenic Design: Richard Hoover
- Directed by: ensemble member Tina Landau
- Sound Design: Rob Milburn
- Costume Design: James Schuette
- Lighting Design: Scott Zielinski
-Time Out Chicago
"Warmth, integrity, occasional bursts of humor, and heartbreak! Steppenwolf has struck gold!"
"Smart, strong, clear-eyed revival! Landau is at her best!"
"Highly Recommended! Powerful! It is essential viewing!"
"This production finds both power and beauty!"
Three audience members from Sonia Flew relate their own stories of leaving Cuba for the United States.
Artistic Director Martha Lavey talks about the decision to include The Diary of Anne Frank in the 2006-2007 Season.
Read these selections from Tina Landau's journal as she traveled through Amsterdam to visit the Anne Frank House.