Spend the summer learning from the best
The Internship Program is perfect for early-career professionals looking for an introduction to arts administration and production. This program provides direct connections to Steppenwolf staff and an opportunity to get hands on experience within the theatre industry. Interns receive opportunities to attend professional development seminars and complimentary tickets to Steppenwolf programming. Participants can either volunteer or apply for academic credit. Interns can apply for financial support.
Internships are available in the following departments:
- LookOut Producing
- Production Management
- School at Steppenwolf
- Theatre Management
Note: Because of the realities of our production schedule, we are unable to offer any technical internships during summer 2020. We fully anticipate these offerings returning for future summers.
Please read this information carefully:
- The 2020 Internships will run from June 1 - August 28, 2020. Individual internship dates may vary. In special circumstances, these dates can be flexible depending on the needs of the candidate and hiring department.
- All internship applications require a cover letter, resume, and two letters of recommendation. Please see the individual internship pages for more detailed and/or additional application requirements.
- The theatre will be closed for most employees the week of August 10-16, 2020. Interns will likely have this week off along with staff members.
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be able to commit to a three-month program
- Reside in—or be able to relocate to—Chicago over the summer
- Have a strong desire to work in one or two of the departments offered for the internship and express this interest in the application
- Carefully read through the instructions and submit a thoughtfully completed application
Pay: Summer interns are unpaid positions; interns can either volunteer or apply for academic credit (and we are happy to accommodate academic credit requirements).
Perks: Professional Development and networking opportunities, free tickets to Steppenwolf productions, and more
Cost of Living Reimbursement Awards: Four interns will be selected for a Cost of Living Reimbursement Awards of $1,500 for the summer. Applicants can apply for this award via their internship application by providing a short description on how this award would impact their living and learning over the summer. All information submitted in consideration for this award will remain confidential and will not be shared with hiring supervisors.
Apply for the 2020 Summer Internships
All 2020 Summer Internship applications are now closed. Please check back in November 2020 for information on applying for our 2021 Summer Internships.
Note: Please have all documents ready before starting the application. You will not be able to save and return to your application once you begin. For more information on the specific application requirements for your internship of choice, please visit that departments page listed above. Additional questions may be answered on our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page.