The Theatre Management apprenticeship/internship provides hands on experience within the day-to-day management structure of Steppenwolf Theatre Company. Apprentices/interns work closely with the General Manager and other key members of the General Management team in a holistic manner to ensure the smooth operations of the organization. The apprentices/interns will be part of the General Management department, which includes Finance, Human Resources, Events Management, IT, Facilities, Office Management and Front of House. Apprentices/interns will be exposed to activities including, but not limited to, artistic contracting and licensing, vendor contracting, project management, accounting and financial reporting, budgeting, human resources and event production. Candidates should possess a warm personality with strong communication skills, a spirit of curiosity instead of judgment, a deep self-awareness and demonstrable experience advocating for equity and inclusion, as well as a basic knowledge of all the Microsoft applications.
Dates & Hours
Position is Supervised By
Events Management Director
Who Should Apply For This Position
Applicants interested in learning about the day-to-day functions of a professional theatre should apply. This position is well-suited for those interested in arts management and in understanding what the administrative operation of a non-profit theatre entails.
Alumni For This Position Include
- Brittany Barnes, External Events Manager, Chicago Architecture Foundation, Chicago, IL
- Alfred Heartley, Director of Development, The Eugene O'Neill Theater Center, Waterford, CT
- Neel McNeill, Managing Director, University of Chicago Theatre and Performance Studies, Chicago, IL
- Derrik Dickinson, Finance Associate, Writers Theatre, Glencoe, IL
- Lauren Yarbrough, Managing Director, Oracle Productions, Chicago, IL
- Gabriel Alaniz, Events Management Associate, Steppenwolf Theatre Company, Chicago, IL
- Cover Letter Addressing the Following:
- Why you want to work in this department at Steppenwolf
- What skills and experiences you bring to this department
- What you hope to learn from this internship or apprenticeship
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Two Letters of Recommendation
The cover letter, resume, and two letters of recommendation should be submitted as one PDF titled "lastname_firstname.pdf" (i.e. letts_tracy.pdf).