Properties apprentices/interns assist the Properties Master and crew in tasks including, but not limited to: crafting or adapting properties using several different types of materials and techniques; searching for and purchasing properties appropriate for productions; furniture and properties repair; sewing; carpentry; painting; maintenance of hand prop and furniture storage; and research. Valid driver's license required. This is a scene shop-based position (Scene Shop is located in West Humboldt Park) that also requires working at the theatre.
Dates & Hours
Position is Supervised By
Who Should Apply For This Position
Applicants who are organized, detail-oriented, self- motivated and interested in learning about the day-to-day functions of a professional theatre Properties Department should apply. This position is specifically catered to those interested in the technical and administrative aspects of the trade. Design opportunities are not available as a part of this apprenticeship.
Alumni For This Position Include
- Emily Guthrie, Assistant Properties Master, Steppenwolf , Theatre Company, Chicago, IL
- Georgina Kayes, Properties Director, American Players Theatre, Spring Green, WI
- Tyler Weldon, Resident Properties Master, Phoenix Theatre, Phoenix, AZ
- Cover Letter Addressing the Following:
- Why you want to work in this department at Steppenwolf
- What skills and experiences you bring to this department
- What you hope to learn from this internship or apprenticeship
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Work Sample (PDF or online portfolio)
The cover letter, resume, and two letters of recommendation should be submitted as one PDF titled "lastname_firstname.pdf" (i.e. letts_tracy.pdf). If submitting a work sample as a PDF file, it should be submitted as a separate PDF titled "lastname_sample" (i.e. letts_sample). You may also submit a link to your online portfolio, if preferred.