Steppenwolf offers both a nine-month apprenticeship and a summer internship for individuals interested in pursuing a career in production management. Apprentices and interns work directly with Steppenwolf’s Director of Production, Associate Production Manager, and Company Manager. The program offers the opportunity to engage with designers and artists while working alongside the Steppenwolf production staff on a variety of projects including the subscription series shows, Steppenwolf for Young Adults programming, assorted visiting companies, and one-night events. Apprentices/interns will also be exposed to technical rehearsals, budgeting & financial reporting, contract administration, theatrical unions, booking travel arrangements & accommodations for visiting artists, Tessitura ticketing, and maintaining production calendars & schedules for rehearsal spaces. The apprentice/intern is an integral part of the production and company management team, and assists with various duties as needed for each production. Individuals will be exposed to both season-long planning projects and the detailed day-to-day operation of a production department, with the opportunity to delve deeper into an aspect of production management of their choice through an independent project.
Dates & Hours
Internship: June 3, 2019 – August 30, 2019, unpaid
Apprenticeship: September 3, 2019 – May 29, 2020, pays minimum wage
Position is Supervised By
Associate Production Manager
Who Should Apply For This Position
Applicants interested in learning about the day-to-day functions of a professional theatre production department should apply.
Alumni For This Position Include
- Jeremy Wilson, Production Manager, The House Theatre of Chicago, Chicago, IL
- Laura Ashlock, Production Manager, University Theatre, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
- Geno Franco, Production Manager, Oregon Contemporary Theatre, Eugene OR
- Julian Gonzalez, Engagement Associate, Broadway In Chicago, Chicago IL
- Estrellita Edwell, Associate Production Manager, Woolly Mammoth Theatre, Washington D.C.
- Jennifer McClendon, Production Manager, Lifeline Theatre, Chicago, IL
- Cover Letter Addressing the Following:
- Why you want to work in this department at Steppenwolf
- What skills and experiences you bring to this department
- What you hope to learn from this internship or apprenticeship
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Two Letters of Recommendation
The cover letter, resume, and two letters of recommendation should be submitted as one PDF titled "lastname_firstname.pdf" (i.e. letts_tracy.pdf).