The LookOut Presenting Internship is perfect for someone looking to explore and learn about the work of running a presenting series. Housed primarily in the 1700 Theatre, LookOut is Steppenwolf’s performance series that presents the work of Chicago artists and companies across genre and form.
To familiarize yourself with the kind of work in the series here is a snapshot of the 2022 summer season. This presentation highlights LookOut’s mission of working with artists of all stripes: comedians, storytellers, live musicians, drag performers and more. The 2023 LookOut Presenting Intern will work to support a similar season this upcoming summer.
Working on LookOut Producing:
This internship is a unique opportunity for someone looking to learn what it takes to produce a performance series and expand their personal knowledge of the performance community in Chicago. Interns will learn by working closely with the LookOut team as they present live performances all summer long. Additional learning opportunities include:
Observing day-to-day operations of what it takes to plan and execute the series.
General best practices when cultivating a relationship with artists through email, meetings and onsite support.
Researching and scouting different performances and artists all across Chicago.
Attending Artistic meetings and learning how Steppenwolf’s Artistic department operates.
Dates and Hours
May 30 - August 4, 2023
Position is Supervised By
Who Should Apply For This Position
Applicants interested in learning about the performance-presenting field, and who want to get their feet wet working to support a diverse array of artists. Candidates should be eager to not only expand their knowledge but we encourage them to share with us what they enjoy when they see live work around Chicago.
All applicants must submit one single PDF containing the following documents, in the following order to the General Application. Unsure how to create a Single PDF? No worries! Feel free to visit this website to build your document.
1) Written response to the following questions:
- What interests you most about this learning opportunity at Steppenwolf Theatre Company and more specifically LookOut?
- Tell us about your current work and career interests, and how do you imagine an internship helping you achieve your goals?
- Take a look at our 2022 summer season snapshot. Which show excites you the most and why? Please reference one of the highlighted shows or a show linked to a webpage in the final slide.
- What do you hope that Steppenwolf can learn from YOU in the time you are a part of the internship program?
2) Resume or breakdown of experience (see example here)
3) Two Letters of Recommendation (Please have your references use this link to submit)
Your PDF file size should not exceed 4MB. Please name your PDF with lastname_firstname.pdf (e.g. lavey_martha.pdf).
Please do not hesitate to reach out to the Professional Leadership Programs Coordinator at email@example.com with any questions.