The Artistic/Casting Intern assists in the daily operations of the Casting and Literary Departments. The Artistic/Casting Intern is supervised by the Casting Director. Daily operations can include organizing headshots, emailing actors and agents to schedule audition times, preparing sides and scripts for auditions and readings, reading and reporting on plays in consideration for future seasons, keeping the script database up-to-date and managing the flow of play evaluations, providing workshop support for upcoming productions, observation of and minute taking for meetings of the Artistic Office, and basic office assistance to keep up communication and the smooth running of the Artistic Office. Candidates should possess strong communication and organizational skills, and a desire to learn more about the day-to-day workings of a major regional theatre’s artistic office and an interest in the world of Chicago casting. We expect the intern to keep up on the reading of plays, both scheduled and in consideration, and expect them to be willing and able to participate in robust discussion of said plays. We will also encourage the Artistic/Casting Intern to take full advantage of the off-loop theatre scene, seeking out productions and reporting back to the artistic office.
Dates & Hours
Internship: June 3, 2019 – August 30, 2019, unpaid
Position is Supervised By
Who Should Apply For This Position
Applicants interested in learning about the day-to-day functions of a professional theatre's artistic department should apply. This position is also for applicants interested in understanding the ins and outs of the art of casting in pursuit of a professional career in casting.
Alumni For This Position Include
- Lori Erickson, Assistant to the SVP of Casting at CBS Paramount, Los Angeles, CA
- Margot Bordelon, Freelance Director, former Literary Manager, Lookingglass Theatre Company Chicago, IL
- Hilary Oleon, former Agent's Assistant The William Morris Agency, NY, NY
- Cover Letter Addressing the Following:
- Why you want to work in this department at Steppenwolf
- What skills and experiences you bring to this department
- What you hope to learn from this internship
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Artistic Statement
- Prompt - The Artistic/Casting Internship is an administrative position. Though the majority of your time will be spent on office work, you will occasionally be asked to respond to plays you’ve seen and scripts you’ve read. In your statement, please answer the following two questions: What kind of theatre excites you and why? In what ways are your aesthetic values in conversation with the work on the stages of Steppenwolf Theatre?
The cover letter, resume, and two letters of recommendation should be submitted as one PDF titled "lastname_firstname.pdf" (i.e. letts_tracy.pdf). The Artistic Statement should be submitted as its own PDF titled "lastname_artistic" (i.e. letts_artistic)."