Empowering new leaders in theatre
The Fellowship is a leadership development program for early-career people of color. Fellows will hold an apprenticeship in their department of interest while being given additional paid professional development opportunities both in and out of Steppenwolf Theatre. Separate of their Apprenticeship experiences, Fellows will participate in monthly professional development seminars, bi-weekly cohort check-ins and pursue an externship connecting them with industry professionals to explore their individual learning goals. As a part of the Fellowship cohort, participants will be able to go even deeper into their practice to build a clearer sense of their leadership styles and to spring board them into the larger professional world.
All Fellow applicants will be able to apply for the Fellows cohort through their Apprenticeship application. In addition to the information below, please visit the Apprenticeship page for more information on how to apply.
Application Information and Important Dates
As of now, we have Apprentices & Fellows deferred from our 2020/21 season to the 2021/22 season and are therefore not planning to accept applications for the 2021/22 season. Early in March 2021, we will update this page if we will indeed accept applications for the 2021/22 season and for which departments. Please check back then.
To be eligible for consideration, applicants must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Identify as a person of color
- Reside in, or be able to relocate to, Chicago
- Have a strong desire to work in their selected department
- Carefully read through the instructions and submit a thoughtfully completed application
During their tenure, Fellows receive:
- Compensation: Fellows will be paid minimum wage for 28 hours/week or 40 hours/week of Apprenticeship work, depending on department. Minimum wage in Chicago, IL is set to be $15/hr as of July 1st, 2021. Fellows will receive additional paid hours specifically focused around professional development opportunities both in and out of Steppenwolf Theatre. Fellows will receive a modest monthly stipend to help defray their cost of living.
- Perks: Professional Development and networking opportunities, free tickets to Steppenwolf productions, mentorship opportunities at Steppenwolf and in the Chicago theatre community, and more.
To apply for the 2021/2022 Apprenticeship and Fellowship Program, please visit the Apprenticeship page. Application deadlines for the 2021/2022 Fellowship Program correspond with the Apprenticeship application deadlines.
Note: Please have all documents ready before starting the application. You will not be able to save and return to your application once you begin. For more information on the specific application requirements for your apprenticeship of choice, please visit that departments page.