Bridge the gap between training and a professional career
The Apprenticeship Program is a professional training program for early-career arts administrators and theatre production practitioners. Participants are given practical learning experiences and independent and collective projects, all while working as a part of a team with Steppenwolf's staff. Apprentices also participate in monthly day long seminars focused around professional development, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion, and career advancement.
2019/2020 Apprenticeships are available in the following departments:
- Costume Shop
- LookOut Producing
- Production Management
- Scenic Art
- Scenic Carpentry
- Stage Management
- Theatre Management
Application Information and Important Dates
Please read this information carefully:
- Applications for the 2019/2020 Apprenticeship and Fellowship Programs are now closed. Please check back in November 2019 for application information for the 2020/2021 season.
- All apprenticeship applications require a cover letter, resume, and two letters of recommendation. Please see the individual apprenticeship pages for more detailed and/or additional application requirements.
To be eligible for consideration, applicants must:
- Be at least 18 years old by the start of the program
- Have earned a college degree by the start of the apprenticeship or have equivalent professional experience or training
- Be able to commit to a 9-month program
- Reside in, or be able to relocate to, Chicago
- Have a strong desire to work in one or two of the departments offered for the Apprenticeship and express this interest in the application
- Carefully read through the instructions and submit a thoughtfully completed application
Pay: Minimum wage for 28 or 40 hours/week, depending on the department. Minimum wage in Chicago, IL is $13/hr as of July 1st, 2019.
Benefits: Eligibility for Steppenwolf's part-time dental plan, paid sick time, vision insurance and a pre-tax Chicago Transit Authority card.
Perks: Professional Development and networking opportunities, free tickets to Steppenwolf productions, and more
Apply for the 2019/2020 Apprenticeship and Fellowship Programs
Applications for the 19/20 Apprenticeship program are now closed. Please check back in November 2019 for information on our 20/21 program offerings.
Apprenticeship applicants may apply for up to two departments. Candidates applying to two departments must fill out a separate application for each.
Note: Please have all documents ready before starting the application. You will not be able to save and return to your application once you begin. For more information on the specific application requirements for your apprenticeship