Bridge the gap between training and a professional career
The Apprenticeship Program is a paid training program for early-career arts administrators and theatre production practitioners. Participants are given practical learning experiences and independent and collective projects, all while working as a part of a team with Steppenwolf's staff. Apprentices also participate in monthly day long seminars focused around professional development, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion, and career advancement.
2020/2021 Apprenticeships are available in the following departments:
- Costume Shop
- LookOut Producing
- Production Management
- Scenic Art
- Scenic Carpentry
- Stage Management
- Theatre Management
Application Information and Important Dates
Please read this information carefully:
- The 2020/2021 Apprenticeship and Fellowship programs will run August 31, 2020 - May 28, 2021. In special circumstances, these dates can be flexible depending on the needs of the candidate and hiring department.
- All apprenticeship applications require a cover letter, resume, and two letters of recommendation. Please see the individual apprenticeship pages for more detailed and/or additional application requirements.
To be eligible for consideration, applicants must:
- Be at least 18 years old by the start of the program
- Be able to commit to a 9-month program
- Reside in, or be able to relocate to, Chicago
- Have a strong desire to work in one or two of the departments offered for the Apprenticeship and express this interest in the application
- Carefully read through the instructions and submit a thoughtfully completed application
We have not traditionally been able to make an Apprenticeship work alongside a full-time college course load.
Pay: Minimum wage for an average of 28 or 40 hours/week, depending on the department. Minimum wage in Chicago, IL is $13/hr as of July 1st, 2019.
Benefits: Eligibility for Steppenwolf's part-time dental plan, paid sick time, vision insurance and a pre-tax Chicago Transit Authority card.
Perks: Professional Development, networking opportunities, free tickets to Steppenwolf productions, and more
Apply for the 2020/2021 Apprenticeship and Fellowship Programs
Apprenticeship and Fellowship applications are due by Sunday, March 8, 2020.
Apprenticeship applicants may apply for up to two departments. Candidates applying to two departments must fill out a separate application for each.
Note: Please have all documents ready before starting the application. You will not be able to save and return to your application once you begin. For more information on the specific application requirements for your apprenticeship of choice, please visit that departments page listed above. Additional questions may be answered on our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page.