Bridge the gap between training and a professional career
The Apprenticeship Program is a professional training program for early-career arts administrators and theatre production practitioners. Participants are given practical learning experiences and independent and collective projects, all while working as a part of a team with Steppenwolf's staff. Apprentices also participate in monthly day long seminars focused around professional development, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion, and career advancement.
2018/2019 Apprenticeships are available in the following departments:
- Costume Shop
- Production Management
- Scenic Art
- Scenic Carpentry
- Stage Management
- Theatre Management
- Video Production
Application Information and Important Dates
Please read this information carefully:
- The 2018/19 Apprenticeship will run from August 27, 2018 - May 31, 2019. In special circumstances, these dates can be slightly flexible depending on the needs of the candidate and hiring department.
- All apprenticeship applications require a cover letter, resume, and two letters of recommendation. Please see the individual apprenticeship pages for more detailed and/or additional application requirements.
To be eligible for consideration, applicants must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have earned a baccalaureate, or have equivalent professional experience
- Be able to commit to a 9-month program
- Reside in, or be able to relocate to, Chicago
- Have a strong desire to work in one or two of the departments offered for the Apprenticeship and express this interest in the application
- Carefully read through the instructions and submit a thoughtfully completed application
Pay: Minimum wage for 28 or 40 hours/week, depending on the department.
Benefits: Eligibility for Steppenwolf's part-time dental plan, as well as vision insurance and a pre-tax Chicago Transit Authority card.
Perks: Professional Development and networking opportunities, free tickets to Steppenwolf productions, and more
Apply for the 2018/19 Apprenticeship or Fellowship
Things to know:
- Apprenticeships and Fellowships share the same form
- Stage Management and Scenic Carpentry Apprenticeship Applications are due on Sunday, March 4, 2018.
- All other Apprenticeship/Fellowship Applications are due on Sunday, March 18, 2018.
- Apprenticeship/Fellowship applicants may apply for up to two departments. Candidates applying to two departments must fill out a separate application for each.
Note: Please have all documents ready before starting the application. You will not be able to save and return to your application once you begin. For more information on the specific application requirements for your apprenticeship of choice, please visit that departments page listed above.