Internship, Apprenticeship and Fellowship
Our Professional Leadership Programs offer opportunities for students, graduates, and early-career professionals to experience the inner-workings of a professional theatre from every angle. Each of these programs includes a uniquely hands-on experience coupled with mentorship and professional development.
The Internship Program is for current students or early-career professionals looking for an introduction to arts administration or production. This program provides direct interaction with and access to Steppenwolf Theatre Company.
The Apprenticeship Program is a professional training program for early-career arts administrators and theatre production practitioners. Participants are given practical learning experiences and independent and collective projects, all while working as a part of a team with Steppenwolf's staff.
The Fellowship is a professional development program for early-career people of color interested in working in theatre. Fellows will hold an apprenticeship in their department of interest while being given additional paid professional development opportunities both in and out of Steppenwolf Theatre.
Program Dates: June 3, 2019 - August 30, 2019
Apprenticeships & Fellowships
Program Dates: September 3, 2019 - May 29, 2020
What to Expect
- Formalized and comprehensive training in arts administration or production
- Focus on professional development and networking
- Connections to peers, mentors, and industry professionals
- Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion training
- Independent and collective learning projects
- Hands-on experience for future career opportunities
- Free tickets to Steppenwolf programming
- Ability to witness firsthand how a world-class theatre operates
Find Out More
Are you an alumni of our internship, apprenticeship or fellowship programs? Then we want to hear from you! Fill out this survey to provide us with updates on your life and to opt into a variety of alumni resources.
American Express and the Illinois Arts Council are sponsors of the Professional Leadership Program