Building A NEW HOME
Phase 2 of Steppenwolf’s Campus, opening in the fall of 2021, is the construction of the new 50,000 sq. ft. building on our campus that will feature:
- The intimate Ensemble Theater in Honor of Helen Zell
- The Liz and Eric Lefkofsky Arts and Education Center
- A bright and open two-story atrium lobby
- A wine bar and sidewalk lounge
- Steppenwolf’s costume shop and updated production amenities
the expansion of steppenwolf theatre will introduce new experiences to our patrons, our neighborhood, and chicago as a whole
– Gordon gill, founding partner of award-winning adrian smith + Gordon gill architecture
Designed with the highest accessibility standards, the Ensemble Theater in Honor of Helen Zell will be located at 1646 N Halsted between the existing parking garage (which will remain!) and the main theater building, seamlessly connecting the campus across Halsted Street. As part of this expansion phase, the lobbies of the Downstairs Theater will also undergo major renovations to better serve audiences.
The Ensemble Theater replaces the Upstairs Theater, which will revert back to its original purpose as two rehearsal halls, and will be the only in-the-round theater space found in a major Chicago theater. with 400 seats and only six rows deep, the audience will experience more closeness to the work onstage and the ensemble is thrilled to have such an artistically different space that returns the company to its roots.