Empowering New Leaders in Theater Management
The Multicultural Fellowship is a professional development program for early career persons of color interested in working in arts administration. Through hands-on experience, independent and collective learning projects, mentorship, and career-guidance, Fellows are given the tools to become insightful new voices in the leadership of the arts.
Fellows participate in the Apprenticeship program as well as the Fellowship. The Fellowship is available in the following departments: Artistic, Development/Fundraising, Digital/Graphic Design, Education/Steppenwolf for Young Adults, Marketing, Literary, Production Management, Publicity, Theater Management.
Please read this information carefully:
- The 2014/15 Multicultural Fellowship will run concurrent with the 2013/14 Apprenticeship, from September 2, 2014 – May 29, 2015. In special circumstances, these dates can be slightly flexible depending on the needs of the candidate and hiring department.
- All applications will go through a preliminary screening process to determine the final candidates. Final candidates will be asked to interview in April. It is strongly encouraged that candidates who do not live locally visit both Chicago and Steppenwolf when interviewing. Phone interviews are available.
To be eligible for consideration, applicants must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Identify as a person of color
- Have earned a baccalaureate, or have equivalent professional experience
- Reside in, or be able to relocate to, Chicago
- Have a strong desire to work in Artistic, Development/Fundraising, Literary, Production Management, Marketing, Steppenwolf for Young Adults, and/or Theatre Management, and express this interest in the application
- Carefully read through the instructions and submit a thoughtfully completed application
During their tenure, Fellows receive:
- The Fellowship will include a generous monthly housing and transportation stipend for those facing financial hardship as well as eligibility to receive compensation towards Steppenwolf's part-time limited benefit medical, dental, disability plan and vision insurance. Fellows will be paid minimum wage for 28 hours/week during 9 months (September-May).
- Perks: Professional Development and networking opportunities, discount and free tickets to area theatres, exceptional mentor relationships at Steppenwolf and beyond, and a whole lot more!
American Express is the sponsor of the Professional Leadership Program & Multicultural Fellowship
Major corporate supporter of Steppenwolf’s career readiness and professional leadership program