Bridge the gap between school and the professional theater
The Apprenticeship Program is a professional training program for aspiring arts administrators and theater production practitioners. Participants are given practical learning experiences, independent and collective projects, and work as entry-level staff persons in the company's administrative and production departments.
2014/15 Apprenticeships are available in the following departments:Artistic, Development/Fundraising, Digital Content, Education/Steppenwolf for Young Adults, Literary, Marketing, Production Management, Theater Management, Lighting, Scenic Carpentry, Sound, Costume Shop, Properties, Publicity, Scenic Art, Stage Management, Wardrobe.
Application Information and Important Dates
For Instructions and Information on how to apply, please click here
Please read this information carefully:
- The 2014/15 Apprenticeship will run from September 2, 2014 – May 29, 2015. In special circumstances, these dates can be slightly flexible depending on the needs of the candidate and hiring department.
- All applications will go through a preliminary screening process to determine the final candidates. Final candidates will be asked to interview in April. It is strongly encouraged that candidates who do not live locally visit both Chicago and Steppenwolf when interviewing. Phone interviews are available.
To be eligible for consideration, applicants must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have earned a baccalaureate, or have equivalent professional experience
- Be able to commit to a 9-month program
- Reside in, or be able to relocate to, Chicago
- Have a strong desire to work in one or two of the departments offered for the Apprenticeship and express this interest in the application
- Carefully read through the instructions and submit a thoughtfully completed application
Pay: Minimum wage for 28 or 40 hours/week, depending on the department.
Benefits: Eligibility for Steppenwolf's part-time limited benefit medical, dental and disability plan, as well as vision insurance and a pre-tax Chicago Transit Authority card.
Perks: Professional Development and networking opportunities, discounts and free tickets to area theaters, and more!
American Express is the sponsor of the Professional Leadership Program & Multicultural Fellowship
Major corporate supporter of Steppenwolf’s career readiness and professional leadership program