Steppenwolf offers a 9-month Apprenticeship, a 9-month Multicultural Fellowship, and a Summer Internship.
2015 Summer Internship Deadline: February 13, 2015
2015/16 Multicultural Fellowship: March 13, 2015
2015/16 Apprenticeship: March 13, 2015
Questions? Try our FAQ.
(Note: The Multicultural Fellowship will require additional application materials. Should you be selected as a finalist, those materials will be sent to you.)
All applicants must submit ONE SINGLE PDF containing the following documents, in the following order.
- Cover Letter
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Letters of Recommendation
Your PDF file size should not exceed 4MB. Please name your PDF with lastname_firstname.pdf (e.g. letts_tracy.pdf).
PDF MATERIALS: submit in ONE SINGLE PDF in this order:
- A cover letter addressing the following:
- To which 2 departments you are applying and why (please be specific)
- How you feel you will be benefited by the program (based on what you have read from the program materials provided on this website)
- Your long term professional goals (as much as you know them at this point)
- How you feel about working and living in Chicago
- Any unique contribution you will bring to Steppenwolf Theatre Company
- A Resume or Curriculum Vitae outlining experience specific to the departments to which you are applying (can submit both an administrative and production resume if desired)
- Two letters of recommendation from professors, teachers, supervisors or colleagues. These letters should specify:
- The recommenders relationship to you
- Why you have been a valuable employee, student or volunteer
- Any office or production experience you have relevant to the position to which you are applying
- Anything else the recommender feels we should know about you
- The letters of recommendation should be on your recommender's university or company letterhead and should include contact information for your recommender (we will likely contact this individual before hiring)
An additional statement and/or work samples are required for some departments.
Work samples are requested for the Properties and Scenic Art Apprenticeships and required for Digital/Graphic Design Apprenticeship. If you are applying for any of these departments and have work photos you would like to submit, please include up to 5 photos in your attached document. If you would like to include a link to your website, please include that in the URL section of the application. Work samples for all other positions WILL NOT be included in the application; please do not send them.
Artistic Statements are required for the Artistic and Literary Departments. Please answer the following questions in 2 or less pages:
The Artistic & Literary Apprenticeships are administrative jobs. Though the majority of your time will be spent on office work, you will occasionally be asked to respond to plays you’ve seen and scripts you’ve read. What kind of theater excites you and why? In what ways are your aesthetic values in conversation with the work on the stages of Steppenwolf Theater?
(All materials will be uploaded to your online application – for questions please email us at email@example.com)