Steppenwolf Theatre Company is soliciting applicants for the position of MARKETING ASSISTANT. Applicants’ background should include a minimum of one year’s experience at a professional performing arts institution and familiarity with the Chicago theater community is a plus. Successful candidates will need to have strong skills in proof editing, managing multiple projects and deadlines, communication and attention to detail. Experience with Tessitura is a plus but not required. The Marketing Assistant reports to the Associate Director of Marketing.
The Steppenwolf Theatre Company, named a Top 35 Best Small Workplace in 2009 by the Wall Street Journal, is a not-for-profit, ensemble based theatre company operating in the city of Chicago, Illinois. Now in its 37th season, the company’s activities include a wide range of artistic programs including a five play subscription series, a visiting company initiative, non-subscription play productions, national and international tours, professional leadership programs, educational programs, new play commissions and workshops. The company owns four different facilities housing its three theatres, production facilities, offices and other support facilities.
Execution and Support for Advertising and Promotional Activity
- Provide assistance in the development and implementation of marketing support for single ticket, subscription and general branding campaigns. That assistance can include placing advertising insertion orders; ad trafficking (submitting ad request forms to the design team, routing ads for edits and ensuring ads are submitted in time); gathering competitive information and support in analyzing metrics and reporting results of efforts.
- Coordinate material distribution for all marketing campaigns.
- Provide assistance in planning and implementation of audience engagement events such as Explore, season kickoff, preview parties, etc.
Coordination of Program Book
- Coordinates the execution of Steppenwolf’s program books (playbills). This includes managing all program book schedules and maintaining deadlines; soliciting, compiling and editing all copy; routing drafts and communicating edits to the design team.
- Manage program insert schedules, field incoming stuffer trades and cross-departmental requests.
- Process all incoming departmental invoices and assist in budget reconciliation.
Misc. / General Support
- This position provides general support to the department on an ongoing basis. That assistance may include maintaining departmental archives; coordination of lobby poster schedule and installation of posters; scheduling meetings; and other assigned tasks as needed.
Compensation will be commensurate with qualification and experience and is competitive with prevailing compensation for similar positions within the non-profit performing arts industry. Excellent benefit package offered, including medical and dental insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, vacation pay, paid sick leave, and a 401(k) matching retirement program.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send 1) a confidential cover letter, 2) resume, and 3) a one-page personal statement addressing a project you have coordinated in which you had to manage multiple deadlines and/or that demonstrated your attention to detail by Monday, June 24, 5pm to:
Erika Nelson, Associate Marketing Director
Steppenwolf Theatre Company is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
No phone calls please.